Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Why Being So Open Works For Me

I keep a food diary, as accurately as possible. I make it open to anyone. I am open about my efforts on Facebook, here in this space, and in person. I don't necessarily make a big deal about it, but I'm open to sharing it with the world. 

Why would I reveal how much I weigh, or divulge my waist measurement, you ask? Why do I think anyone would even care - it's not like I'm a celebrity or anything. I mean, I'm a big deal, in my own world - but who on earth would care what a stay-at-home wife and mother of four eats for lunch, or what exercise she does? I'm no different to anyone else trying to get healthy and lose weight.

And that, my dear friends, is precisely why I share. Because I want everyone else out there who is walking this road to know that they are not alone. It's not paved with yellow bricks, that there are no unicorns, and it is HARD; it is also worth travelling. I want the world to know that the remarkable isn't always found on a reality tv-show, or in news headlines. We are all remarkable, if we just choose to see it. I guess that's what I want this space to be about. Learning to see the remarkable in my own journey, and in the process, maybe helping someone else to see their very own remarkableness.

The reason this works for me, is because I now know I'm not alone, and if I didn't share my story with anyone, I would feel alone, and afraid, and helpless - hopeless. By bringing my struggle to the light, I have encountered others who say, "What - you too?" And we are no longer alone. 

XO, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment